Unlike Android, there’s no direct way to clear cache for an app on iPhone. Instead, you can simply restart the iPhone to clear cache for all apps. If you don’t want to restart, then uninstalling and reinstalling the App is one option. But of course, it’d also delete all data stored in the app which isn’t a pretty solution if the app doesn’t stores a copy of the data online as well.
When and why should you clear App Cache?
If an app is acting weird, clearing the cache might help it get back on track. By weird we mean the app isn’t displaying the content it should be displaying. Clearing the cache in such a situation might help it refresh/reload the correct content.
But you also need to make sure that it’s the app behaving badly. If the app in question is for an online service, you should check if your WiFi or Mobile Data are working properly before you head on to clear app cache.
Clear app cache on iPhone
Like we said earlier, restarting the iPhone clears cache for all apps and services running on the device. It’s the easiest and only way to clear cache for apps on iPhone.
iPhone X, iPhone XS, and iPhone XR
- Press and hold the Power + Volume Down button until you see the Slide to power off slider on the screen.
- Touch and drag the slider to the right and let go. This will turn off your iPhone. It may take a couple of seconds.
- Once your iPhone is turned off, press and hold the Power button again until you see the Apple logo appear on screen.
iPhone 8 Plus and earlier devices
- Press and hold the Power button until you see the Slide to power off slider on the screen.
- Touch and drag the slider to turn off your iPhone.
- Once it’s entirely off, press & hold the Power button again until you see the Apple logo.
If restarting the iPhone doesn’t help fix the problem with the app, then maybe reinstalling the app is your only fix.
Reinstall the app
Find the app on your home screen, touch & hold the icon until all icons on the screen start wiggling. Then tap on the little cross icon shown over the app icon to delete the app.
Once the app is removed from your iPhone, open the App Store and search/download the app again on your iPhone.