Google Chrome lets you customize and set a number of language settings. You can choose your native language for the browser if English is not your first language or you can automatically translate pages from a foreign language to your native language.
Change default language in Chrome
- Open Google Chrome on your PC.
- Click on the Menu button (three vertical dots) on the top right corner of the browser and select Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and click on Advanced to access Chrome’s advanced settings.
- Under the Languages section, click on the Language dropdown menu.
- Click Add languages.
- You will see a list of all the languages available in Google Chrome. Check the box corresponding to the languages you would like to make available to yourself and click on ‘Add’ once you are done. You can make multiple selections.
- Once you’ve added your preferred languages in Chrome, you can set them as the default language for Chrome or as a language you prefer to translate webpages into. To add a language as the default, click on the three-dot menu next to it and select “Display Google Chrome in this language” checkbox. Similarly, set the preferred language for translating web pages using the “Offer to translate pages in this language” checkbox. └ Tip: You can arrange all your languages in order of your preference by clicking on ‘Move to the top’, ‘Move up’ or ‘Move down’. You can also remove a language if you don’t want it on your list.
- Once you’ve changed the language in Google Chrome, hit the Relaunch button to implement the changes.
That’s it. Google Chrome should now run in the language you selected as your default in the step above.
Auto translate web pages in Google Chrome
Even after you change the language of your Google Chrome, it won’t change the language of every page you open. If a page is written in a language that is not added to your languages list, Google can translate the page for you. To do this, turn on Offer to translate pages that aren’t in a language you read from Chrome Settings » Advanced settings » Languages section.
With this turned on, if you open a website that is in a foreign language, Google will ask you if you would like the content translated to the language of your preference. There will be Google Translate icon in the URL bar, using which you can adjust your translation settings. Select the “Always translate” option to let Chrome automatically translate webpages for you.
Setting the Spellcheck language in Chrome
Spellcheck can be a convenient tool to spot spelling mistakes when you’re using Google Chrome. You can enable Spellcheck for all languages added in your Chrome settings or just ones that you use most. To change Spellcheck language settings in Chrome, do the following:
- Open google.com in Chrome.
- Right-click on the search bar, then hover over to Spellcheck in the context menu and select the language you want Chrome to use for checking spelling mistakes in your writing.
Add preferred languages in your Google account
Don’t want to manually configure Chrome with your language preference on all your devices? Well, you can set your language preferences in your Google account as well so every Google app (including Chrome) that you sign into will automatically adjust to your languages preference.
- Open the Google homepage in your browser and sign in to your Google account. You can do this by clicking the ‘Sign in’ button on the top right corner or by signing in to any of the Google apps. If you are signed in, you will see your Display picture
- After signing into your Google account, click your Display picture or the circular icon with your initials in the top right corner, and then click on the Google Account button.
- Click on your display picture, If you don’t have a display picture, click on the generic default picture that is visible in the top right. Then, click on the ‘Google Account’ button.
- On the Google account settings page, select Data and personalization from the left side, then scroll down till you find General preferences for the web and click on the Language menu.
- This will show your default language, and any other languages you have added to your Google account. Click the Add another language link.
- You will see a list of all the available languages. You can select the language you want to add and then hit the Select button. Note that the names of many languages are written in their original scripts so you may have to scroll to the bottom to find them.
- To set a language as your default, hit the Up arrow icon until it reaches to the top of the list of languages you added to your account.
That’s all. We Hope you found this page helpful.