Microsoft recently introduced a subscription-based tier for their AI companion, Copilot. Copilot Pro, which costs $20 per month per user, brings the Pro benefits to individuals, just like the Copilot for Microsoft 365 subscription brings it to businesses.
But what does Copilot Pro bring to the table that you don't get access to with Copilot? Here's a rundown of everything Copilot Pro offers so you can make an informed decision about whether you need to shell out the bucks to buy it.
Copilot Free vs Copilot Pro
Microsoft's Copilot is popular, among other reasons, because it gives access to OpenAI's GPT-4 and DALL-E 3 for free, features that you have to pay for if you want to use them in ChatGPT. With the introduction of Copilot Pro, users have a question on their minds – is this the end of free access to these features? Well, you can put those worries to rest.
Copilot Free-tier users will still get to use it the way they did before. But with Copilot Pro, you'll get additional benefits over free features. The Copilot Pro subscription offers these advantages over the Free version:
- Accelerated AI performance.
- Better quality image generation with DALL-E 3.
- 100 daily boosts for fast image generation as opposed to 15 boosts for free users.
- Landscape image format available for image generation.
- Access to GPT-4 Turbo (OpenAI's latest model).
- Access to GPT-4 Turbo and GPT-4 even during peak times.
- Integration in Microsoft 365 apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote (for Microsoft 365 Personal or Family subscribers).
- Create custom Copilot GPTs with Copilot GPT Builder (releasing soon). Microsoft does say that they will be releasing a few Copilot GPTs with specific purposes such as fitness, travel, cooking and more for everyone, but customization will be limited for free users.
Here's a visual comparison:
|Yes (15 daily boosts)
|Yes (100 daily boosts)
|Priority Model Access and Priority Updates
|Copilot in Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote
|Build Custom Copilot GPTs with Copilot GPT Builder
Copilot Pro subscription does not give access to Copilot in Teams, Loops, or Whiteboard, which is available with the Copilot for Microsoft 365 subscription that costs $30/month and requires a product license for Microsoft 365 Business Standard, Business Premium, E3, E5 or Office 365 E3 or E5.
That's about the extent of benefits you'll get with the Copilot Pro subscription. If you only use Copilot to enhance your searches on the web, you'll probably not notice the difference between the free and Pro versions even if you decide to upgrade. That's to say, upgrading might not be worth it then. But if you're a power Copilot user and use it for writing, researching, coding, image generation, etc., or want to use it in Microsoft 365 apps, the Copilot Pro subscription will be worth it.