iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are Waterproof with an IP68 rating
The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max from Apple are waterproof with an IP68 rating. The device can be submerged into water to a maximum depth of 2 meters for up to 30 minutes.
This is a step up from the waterproofing seal on the iPhone X which featured an IP67 rating and could only go to a maximum depth of 1 meter for up to 30 minutes.
How much deep in water can iPhone XS go?
The iPhone XS can go deep up to 6.5 feet in the water for up to 30 minutes.
However, we don’t recommend you to take your iPhone XS into the water ever intentionally. The depth is only one factor. If your iPhone XS falls into the water even from 10 feet in height, it’ll likely water damage the phone no matter how deep it goes.
Does Apple Care protect water damage?
The Apple Care warranty on your iPhone XS doesn’t cover liquid damage. The device is designed to be waterproof in a defined set of conditions only. If you go beyond that and the liquid damage indicator is triggered, your iPhone XS won’t be covered under warranty.
Tips to avoid water damaging your iPhone XS
- Never take your iPhone XS in places where water flows with high pressure.
- Don’t try to record yourself when you’re floating done from a water slide. When you reach the bottom and get into the pool, your iPhone may not be able to handle the impact when it hits the water.
- Don’t dive into a pool with your iPhone in hand.
- Don’t throw your iPhone into the water.
- Don’t submerge it into the water ever. If it falls, take it out immediately.