How to get T-Mobile eSIM for iPhone XS and iPhone XR
After AT&T and Verizon, T-Mobile is now rolling out support for eSIM in the US for iPhone XS, XS Max, and iPhone XR. The carrier is letting interested customers convert their physical SIM into an eSIM over the phone or via app.
T-Mobile hasn’t officially announced the rollout of eSIM yet, but you can call the carrier support or have a chat with them through the T-Mobile app to request a SIM swap.
Is there any fee? No. Unlike AT&T, T-Mobile is not charging any fee from customers to convert their regular SIM into an eSIM.
T-Mobile eSIM supported phones
As of now, only the newer iPhones support eSIM from T-Mobile. There are no Android phones available in the market which support eSIM at the time of this writing.
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
How to get T-Mobile eSIM
At the time of this writing, you need to talk to a T-Mobile support staff to get an eSIM. The process is not automated currently, but we believe T-Mobile will rollout an update to its app by the end of the year to support an automated system for customers to request an eSIM.
For now, do the following to get a T-Mobile eSIM for your iPhone XS and iPhone XR.
- Get your iPhone’s EID number: Go to Settings » General » About, and get the EID number of your phone.
- Contact T-Mobile support staff: You can either talk over the phone by calling 611, or you can use the chat option in the T-Mobile app.
- Request a SIM Swap: Ask the T-Mobile rep to swap your SIM for an eSIM.
- Give your EID number: When asked, give your phone’s EID number to the T-Mobile rep. If you are asked for more details, advise them that you only have the EID number.
- Wait for the confirmation text to arrive: T-Mobile rep will swap your regular SIM with an eSIM using the EID number and you’ll get a confirmation text that the SIM swap has been completed. Do NOT proceed to the next step until you get a confirmation text.
- Add Cellular Plan on your iPhone: On your Dual SIM supported iPhone, go to Settings » Cellular Data » Add Cellular Plan, then tap Enter Details Manually link at the bottom of the Scan QR Code screen.
- Enter the following SM-DP+ Address: cust-005-v4-prod-atl2.gdsb.net
- Setup your eSIM: Once your iPhone accepts the eSIM, follow the on-screen instructions and set it up as you would like it to work on your iPhone.
Note: You might see “No Service” on your T-Mobile eSIM for a few hours after the activation. It’s okay. Give it some time and it’ll show the network bars.
Can you use T-Mobile eSIM on a carrier locked iPhone?
Of course not. As long as your iPhone is locked to another carrier, you cannot install a T-Mobile eSIM on the device. You need an unlocked iPhone to use T-Mobile eSIM and set up Dual SIM with multiple carrier networks on your iPhone.