Sections are a new feature in iOS 17 that allows you to categorize and organize your reminders. This can be helpful for managing complex tasks or projects, or for simply keeping your reminders list tidy.
Here are some examples of how you can use sections to organize your reminders:
- Shopping list: You could create sections for different types of groceries, such as "Produce," "Meat and dairy," and "Snacks."
- Work to-do list: You could create sections for different projects or clients.
- Personal to-do list: You could create sections for different areas of your life, such as "Errands," "Chores," and "Social."
Sections are a powerful new way to organize your reminders in iOS 17. Experiment with different ways to use sections to find what works best for you.
Creating a Shopping List with Automatic Sections
On iOS 17, you can choose 'Shopping' as a list category when creating a new list. This list will use machine learning to identify and organize tasks into suitable sections.
- Launch the Reminders app and tap on the 'Add List' option in the bottom right.
- Give an apt name to the list. Then, tap on 'List type'.
- Select the 'Shopping' option.
- Choose a color and an icon for the list as per your preference and tap 'Done'.
- Tap on 'New Item' to start adding items.
- Once an item has been added to the list, it will be automatically added to a section.
Multiple sections will be created automatically depending on the items you add to the list.
Manually Adding Sections to a Reminders List
- Open the Reminders app and tap on any reminder list.
- Tap 'Ellipsis' in the top right corner.
- Tap on the 'New Section' option.
- Type an appropriate name for the section. Then, tap 'Done' to save changes.
- To add a new reminder in a Section, tap on the 'blank item' and type the task.
- To move an existing reminder into a section, tap and hold on to a reminder until it hovers. Then, drag and drop it into the new section.
- To bulk add reminders, tap on the 'ellipsis' icon and choose 'Select Reminders'.
- Select all the reminders by tapping on them individually. Then, tap and hold until they hover.
- Finally, drag and drop them on the new section.
- To delete a reminder in a section, swipe right to left on the individual reminder and tap on 'Delete'.
Managing Sections in a List
- Open a list in the reminders app.
- To 'Collapse/Expand' a section, tap on the chevron icon in the far right corner of each section.
- To reorder sections in a list, tap on hold on a section until it hovers. Then, drag it up down the list.
- Release once is at the desired position.
- To rename a section, tap on its name.
- To delete a section, swipe right to left on a section and tap on 'Delete'.
Managing Sections from the 'Edit Sections' Screen
- You can also rename and reorder sections using 'Edit Sections' screen. To do so, tap on the 'Ellipsis' icon.
- Select 'Manage Sections'.
- Choose 'Edit Sections'.
- On the next screen, all sections you created will be visible. To rename a section, tap on its name and enter the new name for it.
- To reorder a section in the list, tap on the 'hamburger' icon on the far left of each section name and drag it up or down the list.
- To unhide empty sections, turn off the toggle for 'Hide Empty Sections'. By default, Reminders will hide the empty section until related items are added.
- Tap 'Done' to close the 'Edit Sections' screen.
The new sections feature in the Reminders app enhances organization and reduces clutter in the reminder lists. The 'Shopping' list type, in particular, simplifies the process by automatically adding items to a specific section.