Microsoft Edge has introduced a new feature called Split Screen Tabs, which allows you to view two webpages side-by-side in the same browser window. This can be very useful for a variety of tasks, such as comparing prices, researching a topic, or writing a paper.
Splitting the screen can help you work on multiple tasks simultaneously and be more productive. For example, you can open a product page on one side of the screen and a review of the product on the other side. Or, you can open a research paper on one side of the screen and a note-taking app on the other side.
Using Split Screen in Microsoft Edge
There are two ways to open websites in split screen view in Microsoft Edge. You can either open two open tabs in a split screen or open a new webpage next to the current webpage in a split view.
- Open the first webpage you want to view side-by-side (split screen) within a single tab.
- Then, right-click on a link within that page and select 'Open link in split screen window'.
- This will instantly split the screen and open the link on the right side under the same tab.
If you have already opened webpages in separate tabs that you want to use in the split window, here's how you split them in the same tab:
- Open the website you want on the left side of the screen.
- Then, click the 'Split screen' button on the top menu bar (next to the address bar).
- The tab window will instantly split into two sections:
- The webpage you've already loaded will be displayed on the left.
- The right side will show thumbnails of all your open tabs.
- Now, you can either select a tab or type the URL of the website you want to open on the right side of the screen.
- The tab you select or the website you enter on the URL box will fill the other section of the screen.
You can identify split-screen tabs in Microsoft Edge by their purple accent color under the tab label, even when you have dozens of tabs open.
Managing Split Screen in Edge
After opening your web pages in split screen mode, hover over either screen to reveal a three-dot button. This button allows you to switch sides, switch views, change the behavior of link opening in split screen mode, and more.
- To adjust the split window sizes, hover over the separator between them and drag left or right, and the window size will be adjusted.
- To exit the split screen mode and move the two webpages back into two separate tabs, hover over any window then click the three-dots button that appears on the top right corner, and select 'Exit split screen view'
- To switch the left and right tabs, click the three dots button and select the 'Switch left and right tabs' option.
- To switch to the vertical split screen view, click the three-dot button and select 'Switch to vertical view'.
- To open the webpage in the split screen section in a new tab, hover over the particular section and click the three dots button and choose 'Open this webpage in a new tab'.
- To open the webpage in the split screen section in a new tab, hover over the section, click the three-dot button, and select 'Open this webpage in a new tab'. This will create a duplicate of the webpage in a new full-screen tab, without closing the webpage in the split-screen section.
- To close a webpage in the split screen, hover over that section and click the 'X' button or select the webpage and click the 'Split screen' button.
You can also customize how links open in split screen mode, such as whether links clicked in one tab or section open in the same tab or in the opposite section.
- To open links that you clicked in the left tab in the right tab or section, click the three dots (More options) and select 'Link tabs'. However, this feature does not work from the right to the left tab.
- To open links you've clicked on in any tab or section within the same tab, select the 'Unlink tabs' option (default).
Don't have a 'Split Screen' Feature in Your Edge Browser?
Although the Split Screen feature is available to stable channels of Microsoft Edge, it might still be hidden as an experimental function under for some users. If the feature is enabled, you can see it on the Edge toolbar right next to the address bar. If not, follow these steps to enable it:
- Once you have successfully updated the Edge browser, open the browser and enter the following address into the URL bar, then press
- This path will directly take you to the relevant Edge flag.
- Here, click on the dropdown menu beside the highlighter flag and enable the option labeled 'Microsoft Edge Split Screen'.
- To apply these changes and enable the split screen feature, click on 'Restart' in the bottom-right corner.
- Once the browser restarts, go to 'Settings' > 'Appearance'.
- Then, scroll down to the 'Select which buttons to show on the toolbar:' section and ensure that the 'Split screen button' option is turned on.
- The Split window button should be visible on the toolbar right of the address bar.
Split Screen Tabs is a great new feature that can help you be more productive and efficient when using Microsoft Edge.
Here are some additional benefits of using Split Screen Tabs:
- It can help you stay organized and focused on your work.
- It can save you time by eliminating the need to switch back and forth between tabs.
- It can help you see the big picture by allowing you to compare two web pages at the same time.
- It can be a fun and engaging way to learn new things or explore the web.
We encourage you to give Split Screen Tabs a try and see how it can help you be more productive and efficient when using Microsoft Edge.