In the rapidly evolving landscape of AI, Google Chrome is not going to be the browser that does not adapt the technology, even though it was starting to feel like it for a while. Taking a significant leap forward, Google is adding a set of new generative AI features to their beloved browser.
With the latest update, Chrome users are poised to experience a more intuitive and efficient browsing experience with 3 new features. These experimental AI features will cater to organization, personalization, and composing. So, whether you're a multitasker juggling numerous tabs, a creative soul yearning for a personalized digital space, or someone seeking assistance in drafting content on the web, Chrome's AI features have something in store for you. Let's get going.
Enable Chrome AI Features
Before you can use all the AI features in Chrome, you'll need to enable them from the settings. To enable AI features in Chrome, you should be updated to the latest version (M121).
Follow these steps:
- Click the 'three-dot' menu icon from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Then, go to 'Settings' from the context menu.
- Navigate to the 'Experimental AI' page.
- Next, go to 'Turn on Experimental AI features'.
- Then, enable the toggles for 'Tab Organizer' and 'Create Themes with AI'.
- Click on the 'Relaunch' button.
Once you've enabled AI features, here's how you can use each of them.
1. Organize Tabs with AI
If you often find yourself drowning in a sea of tabs, Chrome's new Tab Organizer feature is going to be your lifesaver. To organize your tabs with AI in Chrome, follow these steps:
- Open Chrome on your Mac or Windows computer.
- Then, open the sites you want to use AI tab organization with.
- Click the 'Tab Search' button (top-left in Windows, top-right in Mac).
- Then, switch to the 'Organize tabs' option.
- Click on 'Search for groups'.
- AI will work its magic and suggest a tab group; it will only suggest one tab group at a time. Chrome will not only group your tabs but also suggest intuitive names and emojis for the group, making it easier to navigate and switch between different tasks.
You can edit the name of the suggested tab group and also remove any suggested tabs by hovering over them and clicking 'Remove'.
- Finally, click on the 'Create group' button.
- Suggested tabs will be organized into a group, and you'll find the group in the top-left.
- You can also right-click on any open tab and select 'Organize similar tabs' from the context menu or go to the three-dot menu and select 'Organize tabs' to kick-start the same experience as above.
This AI-driven tool effortlessly groups your open tabs based on similarity, streamlining your browsing sessions like never before. So, if are multitasking in several tabs opened where you're planning a trip in a few tabs, researching in others, and shopping in some, just let AI organize things for you.
2. Create Personalized Themes with AI
With AI-generated themes, you're only a few clicks away from having a browser that reflects your mood, interests, or aesthetic preferences. To create personalized themes with AI, follow these steps:
- Open the 'New Tab' page and click the 'Customize Chrome' button in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Click the 'Change Theme' button.
- Then, select 'Create with AI'.
- Now, decide what you want to create.
First, choose a subject from a list of popular subjects from the drop-down menu. For example, Aurora Borealis if you want a theme with the Northern Lights.
- Then, under 'Add Optional Details', select a style, mood, and color. The list of styles also has a thumbnail image with them to give you an idea of what to expect. For color, if you don't like the options provided, you can also use custom color by selecting the dropper.
In the example below, the user has chosen to create 'Aurora Borealis' in an 'animated' style in a 'serene' mood with a custom color.
- Finally, click on the 'Create' button.
- AI will generate a set of themes for you to choose from.
- Click on the one you want to apply.
Custom AI in themes makes it extremely easy to personalize your browser with a touch of your personality. The best part has to be that you don't even need to face the daunting task of crafting a prompt; it's all handled with drop-down menus.
3. Get Writing Aid on the Web
While not part of the initial release, Google is also adding an AI-driven writing helper as part of the AI features to Chrome. Expected to arrive in the next month's release, this AI-powered tool is designed to boost your confidence in crafting content on the web, whether it's a review, an RSVP, a formal inquiry, or just about anything else.
- To use this feature, right-click on any text field on any website you're visiting in the Chrome browser, whether it's a comment box, a forum post field, or any text input area.
- Then, select 'Help me write' from the context menu.
- Type in a few words that convey what you want to write, and it will kickstart the AI into writing for you.
- You can adjust the length and tone of the AI's output or regenerate it. Click on 'Insert' if you want to use the content written by it.
The integration of these generative AI features in Chrome marks the beginning of a new era for the browser, but this is just the beginning. Google plans to bring even more AI and ML features to Chrome, including the integration of Gemini, their most powerful AI model to date. These are exciting times, and only time will tell what the company has in store for us as all these organizations scurry to stay ahead in the AI race.