Unable to download Windows 10 version 1809 on your PC running the 1803 build? You’re not alone. It is a problem many users are facing when trying to update from Windows 10 version 1803 to 1809.
While there are many reasons your computer might be failing to install Windows 10 1809 update, but if you’re getting the error 0x80070424, the issue is most likely fixable by resetting the Windows update components on your PC.
To make things simpler, we’ll be using the “Reset Windows Update Agent tool” by Manuel F. Gil to fix Windows update components on your PC.
How to fix error 0x80070424
- Download the ResetWUEng.zip file from the link above and unzip it on your PC.
- From the extracted files and folders, open the Reset Windows Update Tool folder, then right-click on the ResetWUEng.cmd file and select Run as administratorfrom the context menu. Click Yes when you get a prompt to allow the script to use administrator privileges.
- On the Reset Windows Update Tool window, you’ll first get the Terms and Conditions screen. Accept the terms by hitting Y on your keyboard.
- On the next screen, select Option 2 to reset Windows Update Components. Type 2 from your keyboard and hit enter.
- Wait for the tool to complete the reset process. Once done, close the Reset Windows Update Tool window.
- Go to Settings » Update & Security » click the Check for updates button and install available updates.
Note: If option 2 alone doesn’t fix the problem, try all other options as well. The tool is designed to fix almost all of the Windows 10 update related issues. Don’t give up on it until you’ve tried all the options it offers.