Being able to save a message is a very essential feature as it allows you to revisit important messages quickly, no matter how long ago the conversation took place. Google Chat allows you to star a message and access it centrally for all chats on a dedicated screen.
Saving a Message in Starred Section in Google Chat
- Open Google Chat on your system by heading to chat.google.com using your preferred browser and sign in to your Google account.
- Click on a conversation thread you wish to 'Star' and save a message from.
- Navigate to the message in the conversation and hover the mouse cursor over it. Then, click on the 'Ellipsis' icon (three vertical dots).
- Finally, click on the 'Star' option from the list. A blue-colored star will appear right beside the message.
Accessing the Saved Messages in Starred Section
Since the purpose behind 'starring' a message is easy accessibility to it later as and when needed, it is important for you to know from where you can access all the starred messages in Google Chat.
- Head to chat.google.com and sign in if required.
- Click on the 'Shortcuts' dropdown menu on the left sidebar. Then, select the 'Starred' messages option.
- The list of all 'Starred' messages will be displayed to the right section of the screen.
If you wish to access 'Starred' Google Chat Messages from Gmail:
- Head to mail.google.com and sign in to your account.
- Once logged in, hover over the 'Chat' icon on the left sidebar. Then, click on the 'Shortcuts' option to expand it.
- Select the 'Starred' option to proceed. You shall be able to view all the starred messages in a list view.
Bonus tip: You can also use the 'Forward to Inbox' feature to Save a Google Chat Message
'Forward to inbox' feature existed before you were able to 'Star' a message on Google Chat. As the name suggests, the feature allows you to forward a particular message from a specific conversation as an email to your inbox. It might sound a bit complicated, but in practice is really easy to use and definitely comes in handy.
- Head to chat.google.com or mail.google.com using your preferred browser and log in to your Google account.
- Head to the conversation thread you want to forward a message from. If you are logged in on Gmail, hover over the 'Chat' tab on the left sidebar and select a conversation as displayed previously in this guide.
- Navigate to the specific message and hover over it. Then, click on the 'Ellipsis' icon. Finally, select the 'Forward to inbox' option from the list.
- You will instantly receive a mail containing a link to the message in the chat along with the message preview. You can also mark the mail as 'Important' by clicking on the 'Star' icon (in Gmail 😉). This will enable you to access the message with much more ease and convenience.
Starring messages allows you to quickly find and access them later, saving you time and frustration. By utilizing this simple feature in Google Chat, you can stay organized and ensure important messages are always at your fingertips.