Microsoft Teams has become a cornerstone of modern workplace communication, especially for those using Windows 11. There's no doubt that it's a fantastic tool for collaboration. You can connect on video calls or, as the name goes, in chats. But with constant chats, there will come a time when you'll want to declutter your chat history or remove specific conversations for privacy or organizational reasons.
Whether it's a one-on-one chat or a group discussion, knowing how to delete these chats is an essential skill for any Teams user. With the addition of the Chat app in the Windows 11 ecosystem, the way most people access Microsoft Teams has changed. But with the new app, you have to learn a few things all over again. In this post, we'll walk you through the process of deleting chats in Microsoft Teams on Windows 11, ensuring your chat list stays relevant and manageable.
Follow these steps to delete chats in Microsoft Teams in Windows 11.
- Open Microsoft Teams on your Windows 11 device. You'll find the entry point for it in the Taskbar.
- On the left-hand side of the Teams interface, you'll find the ‘Chat’ tab. Click on it to view your recent chat conversations.
- Scroll through your chat list to find the conversation or group chat that you wish to delete and hover on it. Teams organizes chats chronologically, with the most recent ones at the top.
- A 'More options' (three-dot menu) icon will appear when you hover over the chat; click on it. You can also right-click on the chat.
- From the context menu that appears, click on the 'Delete' option.
- A confirmation message will appear. If you delete the chat, it will only be deleted on your end. Moreover, if you were sharing your live location with them, this would stop it. However, any shared content, like tasks, calendars, etc., won't be deleted; you'll need to go to the dashboard and delete them manually.
- Note that administrators might restrict the ability to delete chats based on company policies, and you might not be able to delete chats in these cases.
- If you're looking to clear the chat history within a conversation without deleting the entire chat, you can delete individual messages. Hover over a message, click on 'More options' (three dots), and select ‘Delete’ from the context menu. This only works for messages you've sent and is subject to the settings configured by your organization.
That's it; the process of deleting a chat in Microsoft Teams is straightforward. Managing your chat list in Microsoft Teams on Windows 11 is a simple yet effective way to declutter your digital space.