Windows apps and games often receive updates that address issues and introduce new features. These updates are typically downloaded and installed automatically via the Microsoft Store. However, there may be times when updates for Windows PCs and devices are released but do not immediately appear as available. In such cases, you can check for these updates manually to ensure timely installation.
It's important to note that some apps from the Microsoft Store, such as the Microsoft Edge web browser, have their own automatic update mechanisms. This guide will provide instructions on how to manually check for updates for your Windows Store apps and games on Windows 10/11 systems.
How to Update Microsoft Store Apps
Microsoft Store apps are Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps and apps that you download from the Microsoft Store. You can update these apps manually or automatically. Automatic updates are enabled by default, but here's how to update apps manually:
- Open the 'Microsoft Store' app from the Start menu.
- Once the Microsoft Store app opens, click the 'Library' option at the bottom of the left panel.
- Then, click the 'Get updates' button on the top left corner.
- Microsoft Store will check for updates for all Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps, including those that came pre-installed with your system and those that you installed yourself. If it finds updates for those apps, it will download and install them one by one.
- If you want, you can click 'Update all' to download and install the updates at once.
- If you see "Your apps and games are up to date" at the top of the page under Updates & downloads, it means your apps are all up to date.
When updates start installing, you'll see the progress in the circle inside the 'Stop' button for each app. You can also pause one or all of the updates by pressing the 'Stop' button for each app or game.
Enable Automatic App Updates in Microsoft Store
To get updates for Microsoft Store apps as soon as they are available, make sure that automatic updates are enabled. It is enabled by default, here's how you can check:
- Open the Microsoft Store app, click on your profile icon, and select 'Settings' from the menu.
- Then, make sure the toggle next to 'App updates' is enabled.
Update Microsoft Store Apps without Microsoft Store
If the Microsoft Store isn't working properly or if you have trouble updating apps through the Microsoft Store, you can update them manually using a third-party website like
Store.rg-adguard.net is a third-party website that lets you download Microsoft Store apps directly from Microsoft. It's a safe and legit site, and it's helpful for people who can't download or update apps from the Microsoft Store directly, like those on enterprise networks. Let us show you how to do this:
- Open the Microsoft Store, find the app you want to update or have trouble updating, and open its app page.
- On the app page, click the 'Share' at the bottom of the left pane.
- Click the 'Copy link' button on the Share link pop-up window to copy the app's URL.
- If you have trouble accessing the Microsoft Store app, you can get the app's URL from the Microsoft Store website.
- Head to the Microsoft Store website and find the app you want to update. You can also use the search bar to locate the desired app.
- Then, open the app's page and copy the app's URL.
- Alternatively, copy the ProductId from the URL. The series of letters and numbers at the end of the URL is the ProductId of the app - for example,
- Next, visit the Store.rg-adguard.net website and paste the copied URL or ProductId and paste it into the search bar.
- Then, select 'URL (link)' or 'ProductId' from the left drop-down depending on what you pasted in the search bar.
- After that, select 'Fast' from the drop-down on the right and click the 'tick' button.
- Scroll down the list of apps and choose the latest version of the app you want to download. The latest versions are usually at the bottom of the result.
- Click the download link that ends in
.appx. Do not download files with the extensions
.blockmapfiles, which are XML files.
- If the download doesn't start automatically, right-click the link and select 'Copy link address'.
- Then, paste the link into your browser address bar and press
Enter. Then, click 'Save'.
- If the download fails, temporarily disable Windows Defender and any other antivirus programs you're using. You may also need to disable security extensions in your browser. If your browser warns you that the file has potential security risks, click the 'Allow' button to allow the download.
- Once the file has been downloaded, go to the folder where it was saved and double-click on the file with the
- In the installation window that appears, click 'Update'.
- Wait for the update to complete. Once it's finished, the app will be updated on your device.
If you already have the latest version of the app installed, you will see a message that says "A newer version or the same version of the app is already installed." You can click 'Reinstall' to reinstall the app if you have problems with the installed app.
Store.rg-adguard.net is a third-party website. If you have any problems with the apps you download from this website, you should contact the app's developer.