Microsoft enabled support for password-less phone number accounts in Windows 10 Insider Preview Builds for all Windows 10 editions with the release of Build 18309. If you have a phone number associated with your Microsoft account, you can now use it sign in to your PC with a SMS verification. Once signed in with your phone number, you can Windows Hello Face, Fingerprint, or a PIN to sign in to Windows 10. No password needed.
Adding or Creating a Microsoft account with Phone Number
Below are instructions to adding a phone number to your existing Microsoft account or creating a new account with a phone number. If you already have an account with an associated phone number, skip to the signing into Windows with a password-less phone number account part.
How to add phone number to your Microsoft account
- Open the Microsoft Security basics page in a web browser and sign-in with your Microsoft account.
- Click on the Update Info button.
- Select A phone number from the Verify my identity with drop-down menu.
- Enter your phone number details, then select Text or Call (whatever you prefer) as a verification method and click the Next button.
- Enter the code sent to you via Text or Call and hit Next.
That’s it. Your phone number should be associated with your Microsoft account now. You can use it to sign-in and setup a Windows 10 PC now.
How to create a new Microsoft account with a phone number
If you wish to create a new Microsoft account with your phone number directly (no email), here’s a how to do it.
- Open signup.live.com in a web browser.
- Click the Use a phone number instead link.
- Enter your Phone number and hit the Next button.
- Enter a password for your account and hit Next.
- Enter your First name and Last Name, Country, and Birth Date details.
- Enter the code sent to you via SMS on the phone number you used in Step 3.
That’s it. Your Microsoft account with a phone number is now created. Add it to your Windows 10 PC for a password-less sign-in experience.
How to Sign in with a phone number in Windows 10
- Go to Settings » Accounts » Family & other Users and click Add someone else to this PC.
- Enter the phone number account you wish to add to the PC.
- Lock your device, then select the phone number account you added in the steps above.
- Select Sign in options » click on the alternative PIN tile, and click Sign in.
- Verify sign in with the PIN code sent to your phone number, and then set up Windows Hello with a PIN, Face, or Fingerprint (whatever your PC supports) to sign in to your computer going forward.