Apple has just released iOS 12 Beta 2 for supported iPhone and iPad devices. The update is still available as a developer beta only. The iOS 12 Public Beta to release by the end of this month.
The iOS 12 Beta 2 comes with a lot of bug fixes and changes. Check out the full changelog from the official release notes right here:
Notes and Known Issues
- The Weather widget isn’t functional in iOS 12 beta 2. (41096139)
- Updating from iOS 10.2 and earlier to iOS 12 beta 2 via iTunes is not supported.
Workaround: Update your device OTA to iOS 12 beta 2. Or, first update your device to
iOS 11.4 via iTunes or OTA, then use iTunes to update to iOS 12 beta 2.
- The ”Maps Nearby” widget buttons don’t launch the Maps app. (40099072)
- Opening an iWork document via AirDrop or Files app might cause the device to become unresponsive. (40338520, 40694399)
- Time Zones might not update automatically. (40499996)
- When deploying apps to iOS 11 or earlier, JPEG image assets are not included in the
compiled .car file. (40507731)
- Vibration alerts on iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus might be unexpectedly loud.
- Universal Links might not open the expected target app. Please submit a bug report if you experience this problem. (40568385)
3rd Party Apps
- Netflix might unexpectedly quit when downloading a video. (40653033)
- Twitter might display a blank login screen. (40910390)
- Taobao might unexpectedly quit on launch. (40958373)
- Some EA games (Real Racing 3, Sims 3 Free Play) might unexpectedly quit on launch.
- Some users might be unable to log in to or view account information in the Bank of
- Skype might unexpectedly quit after logging in. (39666451)
- Notification action buttons might become illegible when Increase Contrast settings are enabled. (41050794)
- Platform Switching for Switch Control is unavailable in iOS 12 beta. (40035312)
- Sysdiagnose initiation via the Analytics menu item in AssistiveTouch and Switch Control is currently unavailable. (40504710)
- Newly-created calendar events might be unavailable to VoiceOver. (40555552)
- The route map for a workout might be unavailable. (40008565)
- Playback might not pause when only one of the AirPods is removed from your ears.
- Signing into a previously-used sandbox account during the In-App Purchase flow might
produce unexpected results. (40639792)
- When an Apple Pay payment sheet is presented in Safari on a Mac without Touch ID, you won’t be able to confirm the payment if your iPhone or Apple Watch display is off.
- Certain USDZ models loaded in Safari might not render thumbnail images. (40252307)
- SMS and Phone Call spam classification extensions don’t load and display a black screen.
- To enable CallKit extensions, it might be necessary to quit and relaunch Phone, Messages, or Settings apps. (39548788, 39885031)
- CarPlay might not connect to certain vehicles. (40494430)
- Alarms are currently unavailable while using CarPlay. (39159434)
- Various CoreGraphics calls have been hardened against continuing with invalid
parameters. In iOS 12 beta, these calls may now return NULL or return early. (38344690)
- Support for quantized models (≤ 8-bit linear and/or lookup table)
- Support for flexible image sizes and multi-array shapes
- Batch prediction API
- Support for custom models
- Support for Create ML models (Vision Feature Print, Text Classifier, Word Tagger)
- When layers are quantized <8-bits or with a lookup-table, users may encounter issues in deconvolution and recurrent layers. (40632252)
Workaround: Use only linear 8-bit quantization on these layers.
- Models with flexible input sizes may unexpectedly reject an input using the default size
displayed in Xcode’s type field. (40632323)
Workaround: Supply a non-default size input on first prediction call.
- Inviting iOS 11 users who have multiple email addresses associated with their Apple ID to a home might not succeed. (41033550)
Workaround: Send the invitation to a different email address or phone number associated with the Apple ID of the iOS 11 user.
- The navigation button isn’t present in the Share Options sheet while using the Add People feature. (40368764)
- While typing in certain apps, keyboard suggestions may overlap. (40231537)
- Certain languages may exhibit clipped or misaligned layout. (40420329)
- Certain languages may display unlocalized text. (40420422)
- When a queueTransaction is performed on applicationQueuePlayer to modify
the position of a song, the queue returns unchanged. (39401344)
- A song cannot be added to a playlist using the addItemWithProductID API.
- In .obj models, the bump semantics in .mtl files don’t map to
- The NSURLSession HTTP/2 implementation has been updated to support HTTP/2
connection reuse per RFC 7540 Section 9.1.1. This requires an HTTP/2 server to present a certificate which covers more than one server hostname. The certificate may use the Subject Alternative Name extension or wild-carded domain names. In addition,
NSURLSession requires name resolution to resolve the different hostnames to the same IP address. NSURLSession may reuse HTTP/2 connections across different domain names when these conditions are satisfied. (37507838)
- FTP and File URL schemes for Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) are deprecated.
HTTP and HTTPS are the only supported URL schemes for PAC. This affects all PAC
configurations including, but not limited to, configurations set via Settings, System
Preferences, profiles, and URLSession APIs such as
- Personal Hotspot might be unavailable. (40379017)
Phone & FaceTime
- Group FaceTime calls cannot be initiated between iOS 12 beta 2 and the first iOS 12 beta release. (39873802)
Workaround: Users should update to iOS 12 beta 2.
- Automatic enlargement of the speaker’s tile during a Group FaceTime call is not enabled while using external headphones. (40615683)
Workaround: Use the built-in speaker of your iOS device.
- If a user attempts to enable a SIM PIN the iOS device will lose cellular service.
Workaround: Restart the iOS device or remove and reinsert the SIM Card.
- Some FaceTime video calls might be interrupted by a ‘poor connection’ message.
Workaround: Disconnect the call and try reconnecting.
- FaceTime might unexpectedly quit on launch. (41189126)
Workaround: Use Siri to place a FaceTime call.
- The Calls on Other Devices using your carrier account feature is unavailable on iOS 12
- Users might be unable to configure Call Forwarding. (40362744)
- During a Group FaceTime call, the text overlay feature might remain invisible until the
preview window is moved downward. (40395097)
- Attempting to add an additional participant to a FaceTime call with many participants
might not succeed. (40433480)
- Wi-Fi Calling might be disabled after updating to iOS 12 beta. (40467667)
- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) customers using the Bell network in Canada might experience an error message when attempting to sign up for a cellular plan or when attempting to access ‘Manage Bell Account’. (40556479)
- During a FaceTime call, iPad Pro (10.5-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation), and
iPad (6th generation) don’t send video to the receiving device. (40725406, 40873560)
- iPod touch (6th generation), iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPad Air support only audio (no video) during Group FaceTime calls in iOS 12 beta.
- In iOS 12 beta, Camera Effects in Messages is available only on iPhone SE and iPhone 6s or later and is unavailable on iPad. Camera Effects in FaceTime is available only on iPhone 7 or later and is unavailable on iPad.
- Wi-Fi calls might end unexpectedly when transitioning from Wi-Fi to cellular while on the T-Mobile network. (39251828)
- Voicemail notifications might be inconsistent and not appear when the device is locked.
- Search results might be unavailable when using languages other than English.
- There is no default icon for RPBroadcastPickerView. (38813581)
- Broadcasting will be enabled in a future release. (40342264)
Safari & WebKit
- Rotating the device while viewing a PDF in Safari might prevent the PDF from scrolling or maximizing layout width. (39794462)
- Viewing Wallet passes in SFSafariViewController might be unavailable.
Workaround: View the pass in Safari.
Important: All Screen Time settings will be reset after updating to iOS 12 beta 2. Users
must reactivate and reconfigure Screen Time to continue using this feature.
- When Family Sharing is enabled for an iCloud account, only family members designated Parent/Guardian may disable Screen Time on their device.
- To enable a Restrictions Passcode on a Child device where the Child has enabled Screen Time, the Parent/Guardian must first disable Screen Time on the Child device and reenable Screen Time from the Parent/Guardian device.
- If a Child account wishes not to share Screen Time usage with Parent/Guardian accounts, they should either become a Parent/Guardian or leave the iCloud family. (40675329)
- When ‘Ask For More’ is enabled on a Child device, entering the passcode on the Child
device to approve more time still results in a prompt on the Parent/Guardian device.
- When ‘Ask For More’ is not enabled on a Child device, tapping ‘Ignore Limit’ prompts for the Screen Time passcode. (41060009)
- App usage data isn’t removed after an app has been deleted. (39428587)
- Screen Time settings don’t sync between devices; however, usage data is synced.
- Usage breakdown by app is unavailable in iOS 12 beta. (39697268)
- Users might receive multiple Screen Time Weekly Report notifications. (40401895)
- Apps and Websites might be disabled even after Screen Time is disabled. (40656766)
- Some child iCloud accounts might not report usage data back to the parent’s device.
- “Picked Up Phone” statistics might be inflated due to data syncing from other devices
signed into the same iCloud account. (39917173)
- Screen Time website usage for a child won’t be displayed on the parent’s device, but can be read on the child’s device. (40218447)
- The default Always Allowed apps won’t be allowed in Downtime until after tapping
Settings > Screen Time > Always Allowed to refresh the list of apps. (40320173)
- Modifying Time for an App Limit overwrites customized days without warning.
- Use only numbers when creating a Screen Time passcode or it might become impossible to enter the passcode. (40671666)
- Shortcuts donated with images created using the +[INImage imageWithURL:] API
won’t display an image. (40623457)
Workaround: Use +[INImage imageWithImageData:]
- When recording a custom Shortcuts phrase, the user might not be able to tap Done to
save the Shortcut. (40862775)
- When a user connects a playback device such as headphones, the Media Player UI might not display artwork. (40989415)
Workaround: Shortcuts developers may verify their images using the Developer switch in Settings > Developer > Display Recent Shortcuts.
- When Siri’s language is set to Chinese, Japanese, or Korean it isn’t possible to set up
“Hey Siri”. (41188020)
Workaround: Set up Hey Siri before updating to iOS 12 beta 2, or set up Hey Siri using a different device signed into the same iCloud account.
- Siri might produce unexpected responses to “Where is my…” queries. (39531873)
- Assigning a value to a parameter which begins with a capital letter throws
- When performing a shortcut in Siri, custom responses won’t be included in the
confirmation dialog text which Siri reads. (40562557)
- Messages might not launch when tapping on message content. (39941268)
Workaround: Exit Siri and launch Messages.
- Adding shortcuts to Siri might fail for shortcuts with images in PDF format. (40395673)
Workaround: Use another image format.
- In Swift, the shortcut property of INVoiceShortcut must be accessed as
- Siri Suggestions for Shortcuts are enabled on iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro, iPad (5th
generation or later), iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4. (40669231)
- Presenting a UIImagePickerController might cause the app to be terminated with a
privacy violation if the app does not include the NSMicrophoneUsageDescription
key in its Info.plist. (40490417)
- To improve security, iOS 12 beta may require you unlock your passcode-protected iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in order to connect it to a Mac, PC, or USB accessory.
- If you use iPod Accessory Protocol (iAP) USB accessories over the Lightning connector (such as CarPlay, assistive devices, charging accessories, or storage carts) or you
connect to a Mac or PC you might need to unlock your device to recognize the accessory. If you don’t unlock your device, it won’t communicate with the accessory or computer, and it won’t charge. Note that you don’t need to unlock your device to charge using an Apple USB power adapter.
- If a USB accessory isn’t recognized after you unlock your device, disconnect it, unlock
your device, and reconnect the accessory.
- If you normally use a USB assistive device to enter your passcode, you may allow it to
communicate with your device while it is locked by enabling “USB Accessories” in
Settings > Face ID/Touch ID & Passcode.
- Voice Memos might not sync between devices even when enabled via Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Voice Memos. (39701488)
• Voice Memos don’t sync to iTunes. (40346169)
That’s all that’s new with iOS 12 Beta 2.