It’s no surprise how restricted the iPhones and iPads are when it comes to file sharing. The devices only accept formats which they can play with the inbuilt media libraries. However, third-party apps allow you to play almost any media format on your device, which includes MKV video file format as well. But how do you transfer MKV file to an iPhone or an iPad?
If you connect your iPhone to the PC and try to transfer .mkv file using iTunes, it will simply reject your file and give you an error that reads something like “file was not copied because it cannot be played on this iPhone”. But there’s a way around this restriction.
If you install a third-party app like VLC for Mobile, KMPlayer or PlayerXtreme on your iPhone or iPad. You can then transfer MKV files using the file sharing option in iTunes. This option lets you transfer file formats to your iPhone that is supported by an app installed on your device.
How to transfer MKV files to iPhone and iPad
- Download and install VLC for Mobile app from the App Store to your iPhone or iPad.
- Once you’ve installed the app, connect your device to the computer.
- Open iTunes, and click on the Phone icon below the menu options.
- Now click on the File sharing option on the left sidebar on iTunes.
- Click on VLC from the list of Apps, then click on the Add file button and select the .mkv file you want to transfer to your iPhone.
└ Tip: You can also drag and drop the file to iTunes.
- The file transfer will begin once you select the file, you can check transfer progress in the top bar on iTunes.
- Once the transfer is complete, open VLC app on your iPhone. The file should be there, and you can play it on your iPhone now.
That’s all. Enjoy the video you just transferred to your iPhone.